Now back to the recipe...this is a great one to make on a day when you have time and then wrap them up and throw them in the freezer. Then you already have an appetizer made for whenever you need it!
Make-Ahead Spinach Pastry Roll-Ups
- 3 thawed Puff Pastry Sheets (1 1/2 boxes, since 2 sheets come in a box)
- flour, enough for a light dusting
- 1 egg
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
- 1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1 tub (8 oz) flavored Cream Cheese, such as garden vegetable or spinach and artichoke
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, melted (or you could use cooking spray instead if you prefer)
Mix together the spinach, egg, feta, cream cheese and onions until well blended. Set aside. Lightly dust flour over a flat surface. (I usually lay down wax paper and dust flour over the wax paper.) Spread thawed out pastry sheet over the floured surface. Spread 1/3 of the spinach mixture along 1 long side of the pastry sheet and roll it up into a log. Brush the ends with butter to seal. Brush butter lightly over the entire outsides of the log. Make small cuts along the top of the log at about 1-inch intervals. Wrap log tightly in plastic wrap and place in freezer. Repeat two more times with remaining two puff pastry sheets.
The spinach roll-ups can freeze up to 3 months. Whenever you are ready to use, remove however many logs you want to use from the freezer to thaw for several hours or place them in the refrigerator (still wrapped) to thaw overnight. When ready to bake, unwrap and place on a cooking sheet. Bake in the oven at 375* for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for about 5 minutes. Cut logs into pieces as show in the picture above and serve!!
My friends LOVE these and always eat them very quickly!!