Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer Love!

There are so many things I love about summer – pool days, lounging in the sun with a good book, drinking fruity drinks, BBQ’s with friends, but most of all I LOVE summer vacation!!   Okay, so yes, I’m not a student anymore, and yes, I work full time, so it’s not like I have a whole summer off, but I still get giddy whenever I can take a week off to go to the beach.  It’s the perfect way to kick off summer.  We just returned from a trip to Belize, and in one word it was amazing! Here are a few images of the beautiful scenery along with a little something new I fell in LOVE with while there.
Here is the view from our room.


And the magnificent pool where we lounged for hours - just fabulous!


But here is my new LOVE - PUPUSAS!  Have you heard of these?!  We had been told by a friend that when we ventured into town we just had to try a pupusa, so we did, and well that's when I fell hard in love.  They are so delish!  The dough is a corn masa that is stuffed with all different types of fillings - pork, chicken, lobster, beans, cheese, spinach, etc... this one below was a mix of chicken, cheese and beans!



Then to make it even better, you top it with their own special hot sauce!



Wait - there's more - it just keeps getting better.  Then you top it with a vinegar based coleslaw! 


There, now it's perfect! Mmmmm.  

We've already been looking into recipes to try so we can make pupusas at home.  We are going to of course go with the traditional fillings, but then also experiment with some of our own.  I'm thinking shrimp and goat cheese!  Before I get ahead of myself though, I need to figure out how to perfect the dough!  Have you ever eaten pupusas?  Anyone have any suggestions, please share!

Tara

1 comment:

  1. That place looks gorgeous! I'm way overdue for a tropical vacation somewhere splendid!!

    ReplyDelete